Monday, October 27, 2008

Love

The more I hear and the more I see around me, the more I am convinced that the church in America has failed to keep the two commandments that Jesus said were the greatest, the two "rules" on which everything else hangs. Those two greatest commandments are love God with everything we have and love others as we love ourselves. Jesus later said that the love we have for others is the one thing that will prove we are his disciples.

What I see out there instead is Christians attacking other Christians on the radio, on blogs, or in books in the name of "defending truth", as if truth needed to be defended. So many of these attacks do not even address the "truth" involved, but instead are directed at the individuals who do not toe the particular party line. I have heard and read things about people that would make you think they are the second coming of Judas or some other, even more evil person.

When those outside of the faith look at the church and see the fighting that goes on over things that are not essential to following Jesus, is it any wonder that they shake their heads and determine not to have anything to do with us? Sure, there are some things which are core to faith in Christ. But there are so many others that can be left up to each individual's conscience and guidance from the Holy Spirit. (For a good article on this, check out: http://dankimball.typepad.com - "what to use for a metaphor of 'core' and 'non-core' beliefs")

While we follow the Truth, and we do have a true and accurate record of God's dealings with humans throughout history, none of us has all of the truth that God has. In fact, I believe that when we stand before God, he will tell us that there were certain things that nobody got right, that he had something totally different in mind.

Since none of us is perfect, and none of us has all of the truth hidden away in our tiny little minds, why not concentrate on what our Savior told us is the most important thing? Love God with every fiber of our being, and then love everyone else as we love ourselves.

Think about the impact that would have.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Co-Heir,
"Since none of us is perfect, and none of us has all of the truth hidden away in our tiny little minds, why not concentrate on what our Savior told us is the most important thing? Love God with every fiber of our being, and then love everyone else as we love ourselves."

Amen! Oh, so I how agree! May Father continue to remind me that I certainly don't "know" everything, but may He reveal more and more Truth into my heart and mind so that I can know Him better. But most of all, may I LOVE Him every moment in all I do and with all my heart, and may I love others with the same joy and passion.

Thanks for this post. Good stuff!

Blessings,
~Amy :)
http://amyiswalkinginthespirit.blogspot.com

Fred Shope said...

Amy,

I believe that, in order for God's people to be what he wants us to be, that it is absolutely necessary that the Spirit continually teaches us and increases our love for the Father.

Moving On

It's been a while since I've written here. Life has been happening the past few months. I have decided to start fresh, so I'm mo...