Friday, August 26, 2016

Fruit of the Spirit: Love




I want to take some time the next few posts and look at the fruit of the Spirit in Galatians 5 and ask ourselves how much the Spirit has been producing in us.

The first fruit is love. Love is more than just a warm, fuzzy feeling that you can just as easily get from swallowing a caterpillar. It is an inward feeling, true, but it is one that manifests itself in outward actions for the good of another. Jesus tells us that we are to love others as he loved us. That love is a sacrificial love that is concerned with the well-being of others. Jesus said that the greatest love is to lay down our lives for others.

It is good to ask ourselves from time to time, "Do I put others first?" "Do I work for the good of others?" "Am I willing to lay down my desires, my wishes, my agenda?" "Am I willing to compromise (without sinning) for the good of another? In short, "Am I willing to give my life for the well-being of others, regardless?"

I know that this is something that I sometimes struggle with, at least as far as motivation goes. That's why community is vital. We need the encouragement and examples of others. I am thankful for what I see in so many of my brothers and sisters.

Let us continue to encourage each other to follow Jesus more closely.



No comments:

Moving On

It's been a while since I've written here. Life has been happening the past few months. I have decided to start fresh, so I'm mo...