Monday, November 8, 2010

Where Do You Stay?

One of the things about working with young African-American students is the things you learn. I have noticed that they will ask someone where they "stay" while I would ask where they "live". I was thinking that maybe they are closer to speaking correctly than those of us who speak "good" grammar. The house that I share with my wife is the place where I stay when I am not out at work, etc., much like someone stays at a motel. But I "live" everywhere I go and in everything I do. I'm certainly not dead when I am away from home.

Now, think of the words "church" and "worship". Growing up, I was always taught that "church" is the place you go to a few times a week to "worship" God. You know, "This is the church, this is the steeple, open the doors and see all the people." I have since come to the realization that this is not the correct way to use these terms. The little ditty should go, "This is the building, this is the steeple, open the doors and see the church." And since we are the church, we continue to be the church everywhere we go and in everything we do. In the same way, "worship" is not just something we do a couple of times a week in a "worship service". Worship is what the followers of Jesus should be doing in each thing we do. It should be in the fabric of our being. The weekly service is the church coming together to do corporately what they have been doing individually throughout the week. Our Sunday worship should be an overflow of what we are about the other six days.

Think about the difference it would make in our lives as individuals and as congregations if we re-thought those two terms (as well as others.)

No comments:

Moving On

It's been a while since I've written here. Life has been happening the past few months. I have decided to start fresh, so I'm mo...