Monday, November 29, 2010

How Far Would You Go?

This was posted a few years ago.

The other night I was watching American Idol (no, I'm not really a fan - I was watching it with my son, who is a fan). Anyway, there was this girl who came on knowing she has no singing talent at all. She wanted to go on to Hollywood so the Idol people could teach her to sing and remake her into a pop star. She was desperate to move to the next round, and I wondered just how far she would have gone to get there. If Simon and the others were cruel enough, how much would they be able to put this poor girl through, how much would she have put up with to become famous - to become the next American Idol.

I was going to write something about how easy it is to allow ourselves to be caught up in being "famous", popular, well liked, etc. But instead, I'll ask how far we who call ourselves followers of Jesus are willing to go to be taught by him and to be remade into his image. Do we say, "Yeah I want to follow Jesus, just don't ask me to give up my dreams of a great career, or to spend time with those who are outside of the mainstream, or to get my hands dirty serving the poor and needy."? Or, are we like Peter, who was willing to get out of the boat and risk drowning to be like his Rabbi? Do we want a Savior who gives us all sorts of good things and wants us to be healthy, wealthy, and wise. Or are we willing to do whatever it takes and take whatever comes our way if it will form us into the image of Jesus.

Which Jesus do you follow?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Mi piace molto il vostro sito. Eccellente il contenuto. Si prega di continuare tale distacco cotent profonda.

Moving On

It's been a while since I've written here. Life has been happening the past few months. I have decided to start fresh, so I'm mo...