Monday, September 13, 2010

Teflon Church

Here's another blast from the past:

The other day, I passed a road named Mt. Elon Church Road. At first glance it looked like Teflon Church Road. Since my mind works in mysterious (some would say strange) ways, I got to thinking - What would a teflon church look like?

I imagine it would be a place where nothing "bad" sticks. Things of the outside world would have no effect. The church would be a "safe place" for Christians to gather and get away from "the world". To those looking at it from the outside, it would seem like a place where everybody had it all together, a place where those within were just "holier" than the rest.

Of course, there would be other things that wouldn't stick. Things like compassion for those outside, concern for those on the margins of society, a realization that none of us really has it all together, that it is only by the grace of God that we stand. Things like love for brothers and sisters in Christ as well as those who are neighbors.

Eventually, a teflon pan gets cracks and the teflon wears off. In a church, the cracks eventually happen and what is going on beneath the surface comes out. A pan that has lost teflon is useless and will be thrown out. Fortunately. a church that has lost its teflon can be redeemed and made useful again by our gracious Father.

3 comments:

Williams Arena said...

Interesting analogy. I think the teflon is wearing off the church I have attended for the past decade. Hopefully, after the silly pursuits like matching choir robes, fancy stage lights, and the insistence on being "perfect plastic people" have worn thin, we will be redeemed and made useful again. My struggle right now is do I stay and help work toward that goal or move on???

Fred Shope said...

That is a tough question. I stayed in a church for many years, trying to help. I finally came to the realization that it was never going to change. I left when the opportunity to begin a new community came up.

kc bob said...

@Williams Arena - I ditto co_heir's answer to your question.

@co_heir - My prayer is that offenses do no stick.. maybe I need Teflon skin but a soft heart?

Moving On

It's been a while since I've written here. Life has been happening the past few months. I have decided to start fresh, so I'm mo...