Wednesday, July 16, 2008

Jesus and "Us"

There's a guy in our town who puts religious messages on a sign from time to time. The current sign reads, "The last two letters in Jesus is us".

I'm not quite sure how to think about it. I'm don't know what message he is trying to get across. My first reaction was, "Typical American evangelical Christianity. It's all about me." After further consideration I thought that there is a sense in which the message of the sign is true. Jesus did die for individuals and individuals follow him.

On the other hand, there is a sense in which following Jesus is about so much more than the individual. I firmly believe that we are Christ's disciples in community and that we need each other. I'm much more generous in my thinking about what form that community can take than I used to be, but I still believe we are called to be on this journey with others.

So, I'm kind of muddled in my thinking about this. What do you think?

No comments:

Moving On

It's been a while since I've written here. Life has been happening the past few months. I have decided to start fresh, so I'm mo...