Friday, September 25, 2015

A Little Update

It's been an interesting year plus around here. In June of 2014, the journey took me down on of those side roads. My father-in-law fell and broke his hip. That same day, I left my job as a teaching assistant. By the end of that summer it became clear my father-in-law would not be returning to his home. I became his representative for his financial and healthcare affairs.

There have been a few ups and downs on the emotional rollercoaster, as his health worsened, only to be followed by a rally, followed by a downturn, followed by another rally.... You get the picture. He has been under hospice care for a few months, and is still hanging in there.

Most of the heavy lifting has been done regarding his estate, so I was freed up to look for a job. Three days ago I began a part time job driving a bus that picks up people and takes them to work, medical appointments, or school. It is part of a county agency for the aging so the fares are low or free. I think it's going to be good. Because it's part time, I'll be able to continue to do some of the things I have been doing as well as continuing to help my father-in-law. Because most of the folks I'll transport are on the lower end of the economic scale, I'm looking at it as a way of serving the least of these and loving my neighbor.

 It will be interesting to see where this back road takes me.

2 comments:

kc bob said...

Love those back roads - sort of. ツ

Blessings to you Fred as you travel a new path.

Fred Shope said...

Thanks Bob!

Moving On

It's been a while since I've written here. Life has been happening the past few months. I have decided to start fresh, so I'm mo...