Sunday, May 27, 2012

Weekend Wanderings

This has been an interesting week here in the sunny South. The temperatures have climbed up and are pretty much where we expect them to be. It is Memorial Day weekend, and many of the churches around here will be honoring those who served and died for this nation. While I am extremely grateful for all those who gave their lives for our country, I do think some go overboard when they take a time which is supposed to be focused on Christ, and focus on men, especially when the sacrifice those folks made is lifted up to the same level as Jesus' sacrifice on the cross. That being said, I do believe we should honor those who died for our political freedom, just not in a gathering for the purpose of building up the body of Christ.

Here are the links:

Pray in the disarray.
A proverb from Mike Erich.
Preaching the Gospel to unbelievers is bad?
Alan Knox on the church.
Should tithing count as charitable giving?

Todd Hiestand on this broken and beautiful world.
If Christ is Lord, everything matters.
iMonk asks a good question.
Doubting Thomas or Honest Tom?
Fill in the blank...

Kansas Bob on exalting and humbling.
Church vs. Jesus.
Frank Viola on Calvinists and Arminians.
Getting to the bottom of it.
Arthur Sido on church membership and widows.

Scripture as a mirror.
Pam Hogeweide on the art of relationship.
How much more is enough?
"But" out of God's love.
The righteous mind.

Have a fantastic Memorial Day, and a blessed week!

3 comments:

kc bob said...

Thanks for the link back Fred!

I have been asked to stand on Veterans Day and one one occasion led a congregational prayer. Guess I see it in a similar light to mothers' and fathers' day as a way to give thanks to God for the people who he uses to bless us.

On the flip-side I would probably be happy to ignore holidays - even the religious ones. :)

Fred Shope said...

I think honoring those who are due honor is a good thing, and would have no problem with that in a worship service. It's just when the whole service is taken up with what sometimes amounts to worshiping America instead of God.

Anonymous said...

I wanted to thank you for this very good read!! I definitely enjoyed every little bit of it.
I have you bookmarked to look at new things you post…
My website :: Hotel Rimini

Moving On

It's been a while since I've written here. Life has been happening the past few months. I have decided to start fresh, so I'm mo...