Sunday, March 6, 2011

Peace

One morning a few years ago, the pastor of the church we used to be a part of was teaching from Isaiah. In chapter 2, verse 4 Isaiah speaks of a time when, "He will judge between the nations and will settle disputes for many peoples. They will beat their swords into plowshares and their spears into pruning hooks. Nation will not take up sword against nation, now will they train for war anymore."

Now, I realize that the ultimate fulfillment of this will come when Jesus returns. But, the question I have is, "Why don't we who are the people of God strive to bring this about in this life, in this world that we live in? Obviously, because of mankind's sin, there will always be those who will steal, fight and kill to get what they want. But there has to be something that we can do to bring peace. If nothing else, we can be peacemakers in our communities and neighborhoods. We can take steps to support groups that minister to people in other nations and cultures. We can support government policies that promote the well being of others .

Jesus said that the peacemakers are blessed. Those of us who claim to belong to Christ should take a long look at how we go about our day-to-day lives. Are we trying to bring peace wherever we can, or are we letting our selfish desires rule us? What can we do to at least partially bring Isaiah 2:4 to fulfillment?

2 comments:

kc bob said...

Methodist theologian Adam Clarke once wrote "the Gospel is called the Gospel of peace, because it tends to reconcile men to God and to each other". I think that reconciliation is the operative word - peacemakers are reconcilers.. those who bring together folks that are alienated.. people that are hostile to each other.

I have had times when I "let" an offence separate me from others. I try hard to not take offence when others hurt me abd work on reconciliation.. not that I am always successful. :)

Fred Shope said...

The problem with trying to be a peacemaker is that it is hard and sometimes unsuccessful. It's hard to know when to step in and when to stay out.

Moving On

It's been a while since I've written here. Life has been happening the past few months. I have decided to start fresh, so I'm mo...