Thursday, February 25, 2010

A Milestone?

Yesterday was my 300th post on this blog. I had posted a few thoughts on xanga and myspace before, but a little over two years ago I decided to begin writing on this blog.

It's been an interesting 26 months. I've gone from being part of a group that was trying to "modernize" a traditional, conservative church to being a part of a fellowship that meets in a bagel shop. I now see the local assembly as a part of the wider body of Christ that meets for fellowship and building each other up. Those meetings may or may not take place at a particular place or at a particular time. There are a number of other areas, such as leadership and church finances, where my thinking has changed. I've also become convinced that there is no one right way to "do church," and I am much more willing to extend grace to others who don't see things the same way.

Probably the greatest thing that has changed in the past two years is the growing importance of grace in my life. I can't think of anything that has had the impact of realizing that my Father loves me, no matter what. Not only does he love me, but he also likes me and delights in me. All of this is not dependent on what I do or don't do. It's all because of God's grace. That grace causes me to try and treat everyone with grace. I don't do it very well at times, but it is a motivator in my life.

I enjoy writing. I enjoy putting my thoughts out into cyberspace and receiving feedback from readers. I don't expect to ever be on anyone's top ten blogger list, but that's okay. I'll continue to write, and a few folks will continue to read. If anyone happens to be blessed by it, so much the better.

3 comments:

Wayward Son said...

Congrats on 300! Truly a blessing being blogger friends with you.

Contact Bill said...

Mr. Shope,

I agree that there is no "one right way" to do church. Congratulations on the 300th post.

I think it is a very good thing for folks to write about the things of God and put them out there for others to read.

Keep up the good work!

kc bob said...

Kudos on 300! So true that there is no one right way to "do church" - love to catch your bagel shop group though.

Moving On

It's been a while since I've written here. Life has been happening the past few months. I have decided to start fresh, so I'm mo...