Tuesday, January 5, 2010

A Goal for the Year

I read recently that our goals for a new year (or resolutions, if you are so inclined) should more specific than just "lose weight," or "become a better person." As I thought about some of the things I would like to do this year, there was one specific thing that jumped out at me. One thing that would enable me to accomplish something that has been rolling around in the recesses of my mind for a number of years. And that one thing is: *drum roll*

To compete in the 100 meter dash in the Rock Hill Senior games this September. I used to be a sprinter in high school and college (in fact, I was actually halfway decent), and from time to time I get the urge to get out and lace up the spikes again. This usually happens in the spring when I see athletes competing in meets. The problem has always been that I have let myself get woefully out of shape, with the resulting knee and other joint problems. As I remembered back on the amount of work I had to do to be able to compete when I was younger, I would become discouraged and figure that my running days had faded away. The last three or so months I've been lifting weights, and as I have been able to lose some weight, my knees have felt better and I've been able to do a few more things athletically.

The other thing that has encouraged me is reading stories from some of the senior athletes who have done well at the same age I am now. Reading about the workouts they have done has helped me think that I may be able to get to the point where I can compete, at least on the local level. If I start slowly, and build up the amount of training I do, I think I can get up to a good level of fitness for a fifty-something year old man. I don't have to be as fit as I was in my early twenties (thank goodness!).

So, the decision has been made. I've told Jan about it, and now I've told the whole world. Or, at least that small part of the world that reads my blog. It's somewhat exciting to contemplate what is possible in the months ahead. It's also a bit scary, because track training involves discomfort, and if there is one thing I don't like, it's discomfort. But, it's for a good cause. Hopefully the rational part of my brain will prevail over the part that thinks I'm still a youngster, and I'll train at a sane pace so I don't totally destroy myself. We'll see.

I'll keep you posted from time to time on my progress.

No comments:

Moving On

It's been a while since I've written here. Life has been happening the past few months. I have decided to start fresh, so I'm mo...