Thursday, May 8, 2014

Yet Another Bend in the Road

My journey is about to take another twist. After this school year, I won't be working at the school where I currently am. After eight years there, it's time to move on. As has happened before, I have no clue what the next chapter will bring. There are possibilities that I am exploring, some of which will allow me to make use of my education and experience. I've been feeling some disquiet for some time, and the desire to move on has gotten stronger.

I've been involved in education for 36 years, give or take a couple of years in between jobs. That has included coaching a variety of sports. Through those years, the ten to twelve hour days during the season have taken a toll on me. As my circumstances have changed, I've had more of a desire to not be so busy in the evenings and weekends in order to spend more time with Jan, and to be more free to serve folks in our church and community.

Any time my journey goes down paths where the way ahead is not so clear, there is always a bit of trepidation, a nervousness that comes from staring ahead into the mist and not knowing what awaits. As many times as God has shown his faithfulness in providing for us, there is still that bit of a gnawing feeling. My faith is stronger now, but there is still a "help my unbelief" quality to it. Maybe it has something to do with the fact that I'm at the age where it is difficult to move into a new line of work. While I don't at all regret my education and career choices, they do affect me as I look for new areas of work.

The one thing I do know is that my Abba loves me and is going to take care of us. How that happens, I don't have a clue. If you would, pray for us as the the story unfolds. It should be interesting. To quote J.R.R. Tolkien,

“The Road goes ever on and on
Down from the door where it began.
Now far ahead the Road has gone,
And I must follow, if I can,
Pursuing it with eager feet,
Until it joins some larger way
Where many paths and errands meet.
And whither then? I cannot say."







2 comments:

kc bob said...

"My faith is stronger now, but there is still a "help my unbelief" quality to it. "

I so resonate with that Fred.

I am believing with you in this new season.

Have a great weekend!

Fred Shope said...

Thanks Bob! You have a great weekend as well.

Moving On

It's been a while since I've written here. Life has been happening the past few months. I have decided to start fresh, so I'm mo...